Friday, November 11, 2011

Fun game for Bored goat

Most people may not have this problem but my goats get bored very easily. However there is one game that Pippin especially really enjoys and that is the touch it game. The idea is that you point to something and the goats touches it, either with his nose or feet. It seems like it would be mind numbing but, because of all the things in the world to be touch and the different degrees of difficulty you can find it give the goat purpose and something to use their brains for. I would start with something really obvious, a cinderblock or even something a bit larger. I think it would be good to have it off the ground so it stands out from the normal topography. Point with the hand that has the lead rope in it towards the block and with your other hand put rhythmic pressure just behind the shoulder blade. When the goat takes a step in the right direction release and pet them. Continue in this way and any time the goat touches the block praise. You could also give a treat but I would be inclined to reserve them for when the goat touches it with his brain there is a big difference between randomly bumping into something and intentionally looking at/touching it. reward the intentional because that is what will stick and it encourages them to use their brains. I will diverge and say that one thing I have noticed with some animals that are clicker trained (although it may have worked really well for some people) have a tendency to move fast and somewhat frantically as if they are just trying everything they can think of as fast as they can to get a treat rather than trying to figure things out. Of course this is not an overarching statement... just an illustration of why I prefer to reward only the brain. Once you master large objects there are infinitely many smaller things... I have even managed a large piece of gravel on days when Pippin is really engaged... Anyway, something for you to think about. I would really love to hear if any of this works for you or if you disagree with any of it... Otherwise I feel like I'm writing a blog to thin air.... which isn't very motivating...
M.

2 comments:

  1. I know what it's like, feeling like you're writing to thin air!! :-/ Not exactly a fun feeling...

    I've been finding that this is one of the only games Heidi will play, simply because it is so engaging! She gets bored extremely quickly, but the 'Touch-It' game really gets her thinking, and you can see it in her face that she's trying to solve the puzzle. We've been working on putting all four feet on a bench, going from one end to the other, and then coming down, all by playing Touch It. She likes that one... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I can't wait to see a video ;)
    M.

    ReplyDelete