Saturday, November 5, 2011

Random Musings

This is mainly a filler until I'm able to post about the blood transfusion I did with Pippin on Friday. I've been thinking about various things like what I'm going to do next summer... The current plan is to travel to California (hopefully via goat farms...if you are willing to have me send me an e-mail please!) and also to participate in the program "Summer Ventures in Science and Mathematics".

I've also been thinking about the morality of the amount of money our society spends on "Healthcare"... especially in animals. It seems that many of the important things in life are a conflict between the rational and the emotional. As I'm planning on becoming a vet one thing that seems to me might be hard to deal with, would be people who want to do chemotherapy for their dog with cancer. It seems so wrong, when there are children starving in the world, our country, my town, people with cancer who can't pay for treatment, and all the other inhumanities, that anyone be allowed to pay for that sort of treatment for an animal. And yet in some cases, for some people, their pets are their children. How can you tell them that there is no hope, that it is time to help them die. In some ways human doctors have it easier. There is never any question of "putting their patient to sleep" whether the condition is untreatable or the patient/owner can't afford to pay. And yet maybe the animals are the luckier. A human with a terminal disease who is in pain can't choose to end their lives (at least not without great inconvenience.) An old dog who is in the same position can have its life ended. 

I don't know what is the right thing. One half of my brain is being rational as my emotions try to shout it down... I'd be interested to hear what you thought.
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment