Sunday, October 30, 2011

Charcoal.

Liquid charcoal is the one thing (well maybe one of two or three things) that I consider essential to my medicine chest. I know many people have a lot more in theirs but I can't afford all those meds which I may not use before they expire. However I have used activated charcoal at least two times to date and it gives you something to do.

On the downside you need 4-8 bottles for goats my size. Today I only had 1.5 but I gave Merry all of that after he started acting strangely after our walk today on which he ate some bittersweet.... And he seems to be doing better now.

What I keep thinking about is that I'm not really sure that it was the bittersweet. We got back and he went into the stall, lay down and was breathing strangely. He wouldn't put weight on his front left leg when he stood up briefly again and I was freaking out. We called the vet and talked to her. She was great. We are now just monitoring as Merry has improved tremendously... However back to what I was saying at the beginning of the paragraph... I almost wonder if his breathing was messed up because i pulled the wrong way with the piece of rope I was leading him with when we came in... or if it got stuck or something. It doesn't seem like it could be that because I really wasn't using that much pressure... but it is just something I've been thinking about... One more reason not to use a collar... (in my opinion)

Anyway I'm very tired now (not sure why but it is a fact) So good night!
M.

p.s. I also strongly suggest buying a 60 cc catheter tip syringe from your vet. The one I had made it a lot easier to get the charcoal down him. It was still awful... but at least not as bad as it might have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment