Saturday, October 1, 2011

Rhythmic pressure.

As touched on in the previous post I use rhythmic pressure when I'm at a distance from a goat. I envision it a sending little "waves of energy" at a part of a goat to get them to move. Of course if they don't listen to the waves then they will get tapped. I think this method is probably the hardest to explain to people and differentiate from just whipping/smacking the goat (which you obviously don't want to do). The difference is, of course in the phases. These are slightly different depending on what you are doing.

If you are asking the goat to yield their hindquarters using rhythmic pressure the first phase is that of looking at and focusing your energy on the point in between the belly and the hind leg. Then, still focusing on that spot I will start waving my hands a little and click my fingers. I will continue to do this making my actions gradually bigger and closer to the goat and the point I want to move until I'm touching them and continue until they move.

If you want to ask your goat to go forwards using rhythmic pressure the phases are similar. Standing at the goat's shoulder with you body facing diagonally and holding the lead rope in the hand farthest from them point forwards and bring up your "life." This essentially means that you are saying " Ok, time to go, I'm the leader and I think we should go this way." If they don't move, and they probably won't, raise you other hand (still keeping the lead rope in front) and start waving and clicking. Proceed as described above until the goat moves forwards. Also, at least when you are starting, you should be putting some constant and forwards pressure on the halter.

I'm afraid I haven't explained it very well but here are some things to try and I promise that I will get a video soon:


  1. Yield hindquarters using rhythmic pressure (from both sides)
  2. Travel from point A to point B.
Hopefully this gives you some things to try.
M.
p.s. I'd love to hear any feedback you had on what is good and what isn't. You can either comment on this blog or e-mail me at 2creeksgoats "at" gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. Driving from behind is a good exercise, after leading/ following is strong. Also, have you seen Cynthia Royal's Horsetalk/relationship DVD? You take territory by driving the horse away from feed and letting it come back when it "asks nicely" by looking at you with both eyes and standing still (not trying to hone in anymore). This is very useful, and can save your goats if they get into something they shouldn't or if you pour out the wrong feed, or too much, etc. Very helpful for the head in the feed pan that makes all the food spill, but most importantly, a great shortcut to leadership with dominant and stubborn does and bucks. I have to go in with a lot of energy to take the territory, as bluster seems to work well. Otherwise, you might to have to step up the levels gradually to a lot of force. Some goats would rather stand there and ignore you rather than leave their food. The goats also seem to respect the NH training stick, esp. with a string, more than a regular stick. This means more signalling and less whacking, which makes everyone happier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your point on the importance of dominance especially at feeding time is a good one. And yes it is a good way to point out your dominance..... maybe not a shortcut exactly... but certainly an excellent tool/exercise/test. I also find my goats do do better with a string on the stick than without.

    ReplyDelete