Thursday, October 6, 2011

Coming Soon!!!

I'm going to the fair this weekend. To be more precise the True Nature Country Fair and I will be giving cart rides and doing a goat care and training demonstration. What this means is that I will get to play with an on site goat who I doubt has ever had a halter on! I'll video tape it and share the footage so you can glean some ideas and take note of all the terrible mistakes I make and avoid them. The goats there are Boers (and big ones) so I will also get to try playing with long eared goats. I expect it to be a good deal more difficult as the messages they are sending me will be subtler... like trying to hear a whisper after having my boys yell at me constantly :) However I'm sure it will all be very fun. I'm going down with the whole family as well as two friends from California who have started a garden here in Asheville. (see their blog http://citysecret.wordpress.com/ )

Apart from thinking about goats I've been playing with Kip (our dog), splitting wood, and doing school work. It's really very interesting... Have you heard of bioluminescent algae? See a video here. It is thought that this response (of lighting up when disturbed) might have evolved as a response to predators which tried to eat the algae and that the algae light up to attract fish to eat the predators!

Anyway enough of algae. "Talk" to you after the fair!
M.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, the fair sounds like fun!! I think you'll like playing with the Boers. Flop eared goats are usually pretty easy to read, since their ears dramatically fly around everywhere. LOL. :)

    Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoL.... :) it'll be like having someone whisper at me and then every once in a while fly of the hook and start screaming :)....

    ReplyDelete